Tuesday, July 14, 2009

doulaing

As some of you know I have started my process of becoming a doula!!

Doula-is an assistant who provides various forms of non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) in the childbirth process. Based on a particular doula's training and background, the doula may offer support during prenatal care, during childbirth and/or during the postpartum period. A birth doula provides support during labor.

I am very excited to assist Mom and Dad's in having rewarding, amazing and loving births. I was lucky enough to have 2 awesome birth experiences. I came out a stronger woman after the births of Myla and Van. Not to mention how good I physically felt just hours after birthing the babes. I had thought about becoming a Doula since I had Myla. My friend Jessica's birth of her second child help to spur the final push needed. I had assisted Jessica and Eddie in some pre labor work and just loved helping them talk about the upcoming birth. An out of town trip and an early babe made it not possible for me to help Jessica and Eddie during the actual birth of their super precious little girl Piper.

But that experience got me excited and ready to begin the training. So I just signed for a Doula training next weekend. I then need to attend 3 births and take care of other paperwork stuff. So if you know if anyone in need of a doula, please let me know. jodi

3 comments:

Kara Scharrer said...

Jodi! I think this is awesome! I wish that I was having another baby so that I could have you as my doula. :) Good luck with this new path! I think that you will be perfect! When I found out that I was pregnant with Skogen, I remember talking to you about the pregnancy over at Cameron's and you had a lot of great advice for me. I know that you will have a lot to offer your mommies and daddies.

Thompson's said...

So cool...I'm excited for you. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to help your neighbor in the future!!!

Jessica said...

I am so happy you are doing this...you'll be great! Eddy and I are so grateful for the help you gave us. We would have loved to have you with us during Piper's birth.